International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
Global survey on the state of the art versus state of practice in the varied fields of geotechnical and geo-environmental engineering
TC304 - Engineering Practice of Risk Assessment and Management
Principal theme – Reliability- and risk-informed decision making for design, assessment, and management of geotechnical systems over their service life
‘Hot topics’ in the practice –
- Value of reliability- and risk-informed decision making in practice
- Geotechnical databases and probability models
- Practical methods to manage geotechnical risk for real-world problems (semi-probabilistic, reliability-based, risk-informed)
Questions related to above ‘hot’ topics –
- Have you adopted a reliability- or risk-informed method for design, assessment, and/or management of a geotechnical project?
- If YES, provide some project details and highlight how your method complements the factor of safety approach?
- If NO, what are your reservations or concerns?
- In relation to bridging state-of-the-art and state-of-practice, which aspect(s) of reliability- or risk-informed decision making deserve the most attention (e.g. role of engineering judgment, selection of characteristic value, statistical interpretation of site data and other geotechnical data, target reliability/risk level, Bayesian observational approach, codification versus site-specific needs)?
- What are the top 3 items in your wish list that you feel would facilitate adoption of reliability- or risk-informed decision making in geotechnical practice (e.g. statistical guidelines, databases, softwares, short courses, clearer design standards/codes, case studies, bibliography)
Follow-on questions –
- Which topics do you prefer to read about in a State of Practice (SOP) report on reliability- or risk-informed decision making for geotechnical engineering?
- What activities should TC304 engage in to bridge state-of-the-art and state-of-practice?
- What are the grand challenges in the state-of-the-art that will exercise the greatest societal impact?