Professor Pedro Pinto
Biographical Sketch for Pedro Simão Sêco e Pinto
E-mail: [email protected]
Licenciated in Civil Engineer (6 years course,1965-1971)(with honors); from 1971 to 1975 worked with Industry; Master of Engineering 1975 – 1977 (with high honors); Specialist in Geotechnique (Ph.D Degree) 1979 - 1983 (with high honors); from 1992 – Director of Research (Full Professor degree) (with high honors).
Related with ISSMGE he is currently Appointed Board member, and before Immediate Past President (2009-2013), President (2005-2009), Vice President for Europe (2001-2005) and Chairman of TC4 “Earthquake Geotechnical Engineer Committee” (1994-2000.
He is Full Professor of Geotechnical Engineering of University of Coimbra and acted as:
- World Bank Consulting for Dams Safety (2013-2015),
- Invited Professor of Master Courses "Soil Mechanics" and "Engineering Geology" of New University of Lisbon (1983-1995),
- United Nations Consulting for Design and Instrumentation for Dams (1988-1992).
- Invited Lecturer of University of California, USA (1992-1994).
- President of Portuguese Society for Geotechnique (1996- 2000).
Pedro Sêco e Pinto is a Consulting Engineer and has participated in more than 450 major projects in Dams, Power plants, Bridges, Tunnels and Quay Walls, in Portugal, Angola, Argelie, Brazil, Cabo Verde, China, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guine- Bissau, Guine Ecuatorial, India, Lebanon, Malawi, Morocco, Mozambique, Senegal, Syria, Tunisia, Uganda, Venezuela and Zambia, covering field and laboratory testing, dynamic analyses, earthquake engineering, numerical analyses, ground improvement, slopes, special foundations, instrumentation and safety evaluation.
He has presented more than 350 State-of-the Art Lectures and Special Lectures in 80 countries of the 5 Continents.
Pedro Sêco e Pinto has received more than 50 international Awards including American Biographical Institute USA, "Special Volume for the Contributors of Earthquake Engineering, Nagadi Lecture by Indian Geotechnical Society, Széchy Lecture by Hungarian S M Society and Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Nonveiller Lecture- by Croatia Geotechnical Society, Sukle Lecture by Slovenia Soil Mechanics Society, Chin Lecture by Huanzhou University (China), Qian Jia Huan Lecture by Hohai University (China) and Chin Fung Kee Memorial Lecture by Institute of Engineers of Malasia.
Related his role with Editorial Boards and Reviewer he acted as:
- Associate Editor of International Journal of Earthquake Engineering (since 2017)
- Editor in Chief of International Journal of Case Histories (2011-2017)
- Co-Editor of Geotechnical and Geological Engineering Journal, Springer Publisher (2005-2011)
- Member of Editorial Board of several Journals, namely: "Geotecnia", “Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering”, “Acta de Geotecnia”, “International Journal of Geotechnical Engineering”.
- Editor of Proceedings of 4 International Conferences.
Pedro Sêco e Pinto is author or co-author of 500 Technical and Scientific Reports, more than 180 papers for national and international conferences and journals and has contributed for 10 books.