Technical Oversight Committee
The Technical Oversight Committee (TOC) is in charge of supervising and coordinating the activities of the Technical Committees (TCs) of the ISSMGE. The mission of TCs is to provide a forum for active participation by the individual members of ISSMGE, and to promote the objectives, activities and results of the technical committees throughout the ISSMGE membership. The TCs are a meeting arena for discussing, developing and applying specialist geotechnical knowledge related to the behaviour of geo-materials, geotechnical engineering and engineering for society.
The TOC is managed by a Chair and a Secretary, it is composed of the 6 Vice-Presidents of the Regions together with six delegates coming from each region. Each Vice-President follows the activities of the TCs from his/her region.
Chair: Prof. Pierre Delage, Ecole des Ponts ParisTech firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Prof. Kenichi Soga, University of California, Berkeley email@example.com
- Africa: Etienne Marcelin Kana firstname.lastname@example.org (CTGA)
- Asia: Eun-Chul Shin email@example.com (Korea)
- Australasia: Alexander Gavin firstname.lastname@example.org (New Zealand)
- Europe: Mario Manassero email@example.com (Italy)
- North America: Timothy Newson firstname.lastname@example.org (Canada)
- South America: Alejo Sfriso email@example.com (Argentina)
- YMPG Liaison: Jennifer Nicks (USA)
The TC activities are governed by Guidelines that are presently being revised by the TOC prior to being submitted to the Board.
Please click on the following link for the Guidelines on creating and naming Honours Lectures, and the process for selection of a lecturer - Guidelines
Various decisions have been recently approved by the Board:
- The limitation to a maximum of two of the four years term of TC Chairs (resulting in an eight year maximum period). In fact, around 10 TCs have changed their Chairs since the Paris Conference in September 2013 and several TCs are in the process of electing a new Chair;
- The TC membership includes (i) four members nominated by the Chair (who also selects the TC Vice-Chair (if necessary) and secretary), with voting right, (ii) two members nominated by the Member Societies interested in the TC activities, with voting right, and (iii) corresponding members (no limit in number) who may attend meetings and participate to the TC activities, without voting right;
- The reporting of the TC activities to the TOC will be made through a dedicated TC reporting website (presently under construction) with (i) a short annual report, (ii) a report at mid presidential term (Autumn 2015) and (iii) a final administrative report presenting all the activities conducted by the TC during the presidential term (requires to be submitted in March 2017, 6 months before the end of the present presidential term, i.e. the Seoul ICSMGE in 2017).
More details are given in the letters sent to TC officers and to Member Societies below: