ISSMGE News & Information Circular
The ISSMGE is pleased to announce a new webinar “Machine Learning in Geotechnical Engineering” to be delivered by Professor Pijush Samui, on the 19th August at 12:00 am (GMT).
Webinars recently added to the ISSMGE educational resources available from the website:
- Prof Mark Jaksa: 2nd John Burland Lecture: Reflections on Some Contemporary Aspects of Geotechnical Engineering Education - From Critical State to Virtual Immersion
- Prof. Rodrigo Salgado: Forks in the Road: Rethinking Modeling Decisions that Defined Teaching and Practice of Geotechnical Engineering
- Prof. Susan A. Ambrose: Prior Knowledge, Learning and Common Instructional Practices Grounded in Evidence
- Prof. Luciano Picarelli: The Classification of Landslides in Soils in a Mechanical Perspective.
- Prof. Fumio Tatsuoka: Geosynthetics-Reinforced Soil Structures - Developments from Walls to Bridges.
- Federation of International Geo-Engineering Societies (FedIGS)
The Federation of International Geo-Engineering Societies (FedIGS) is a collaborative association of international professional societies in the field of “Geo-Engineering” and serves to facilitate cooperation among them. It has launched its revamped website, which can be viewed at https://geoengineeringfederation.org/.
The cooperating societies forming the FedIGS Board are:
- International Society for Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ISSMGE)
- International Society for Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (ISRM)
- International Association of Engineering Geology and the Environment (IAEG)
- International Geosynthetics Society (IGS)
FedIGS also has a number of Joint Technical Committees:
- JTC1 Natural Slopes and Landslides
- JTC2 Representation of Geo-Engineering Data
- JTC3 Education and Training
Further details about the FedIGS can be found at www.geoengineeringfederation.org.
- Corporate Associates Presidential Group:
The May 2020 update of Corporate Associates’ varied and exciting activities around the world can be found here https://www.issmge.org/corporate-associates/corporate-associates-presidential-group. Why and how to join as a Corporate Associate are detailed in https://www.issmge.org/corporate-associates/why-how-to-join.
The latest edition of the ISSMGE Bulletin (Volume 14, Issue 2, June 2020) is available from the website https://www.issmge.org/publications/issmge-bulletin/vol-14-issue-3-june2020
- ISSMGE Online Library – Open Access
The ISSMGE Online library (https://www.issmge.org/publications/online-library) is in continuous development – please note the following additions:
- 1st (2007) and 7th (2019) International Symposium on Geotechnical Safety and Risk
- 10th International Symposium on Field Measurements in Geomechanics (FMGM2018)
- 25th European Young Geotechnical Engineers Conference
- ISSMGE Foundation
The next deadline for receipt of applications for awards from the ISSMGE Foundation is the 30th September 2020. Click here for further information on the ISSMGE Foundation.
For a listing of all ISSMGE and ISSMGE supported conferences, and full information on all events, including deadlines, please go to the Events page at https://www.issmge.org/events. However, for updated information concerning possible changes due to the coronavirus outbreak (ie. postponements, cancellations, change of deadlines, etc), please refer to that specific event’s website.
As might be expected, many events have been rescheduled and we update the Events page whenever we are advised of changes.
The following are events that have been added since the previous Circular:
FIFTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON NEW DEVELOPMENTS IN SOIL MECHANICS AND GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEERING - 27-05-2021 - 29-05-2021 - Atatürk Cultural and Congress Center Near East University, Nicosia, Northern Cyprus; Language: English; Organiser: Turkish Society of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering and Near East University; Contact person: Cavit ATALAR; Address: Near East Boulevard; Phone: 0090392 223 6464; Email: email@example.com; Website: http://zm2020.neu.edu.tr;