The aim of the International Society is the promotion of international co-operation amongst engineers and scientists for the advancement and dissemination of knowledge in the field of geotechnics, and its engineering and environmental applications. Benefits of membership include:
• possibility to submit papers to many conferences and symposia
• lower conference registration fees
• possibility of membership of one the many technical committees working on specific topics
• access to work of ISSMGE in various fields of activity, including Education, Communications,
• opportunities to demonstrate leadership in Technical Committee, conference and other activities
• opportunities to build lasting world-wide relationships
• a clear demonstration of interest and professionalism in the field of Geotechnics
ISSMGE has approximately 90 Member Societies worldwide representing some 20000 individual members. These include practising engineers, teachers, researchers, and equipment designers and manufacturers. The Society also has over corporate associates from industry.
The ISSMGE policy making body is the Council, consisting of two delegates (one voting) from each Member Society, which meets every two years. The President is elected for four years and is assisted by the BOARD which consists of the six Regional Vice-Presidents, the Past President, three appointed members, and the Secretary General who is responsible for the day-to-day conduct of the affairs of the Society
ISSMGE is an affiliated member of the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS) which is itself a member of the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU).
Close relationships are maintained with ISSMGE sister societies, the International Society for Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering (ISRM) and the International Association for Engineering Geology and the Environment (IAEG) via the Federation of the International Geo-engineering Societies (FedIGS).
Quadriennial International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (ICSMGE)
Five quadriennial Regional Conferences
Specialist International Conferences, Symposia and Workshops
Regional Young Geotechnical Engineers' Conferences (YGEC)
Over 1000 individual members are directly involved in ISSMGE activities through membership of one of the many International Technical Committees. Each Technical Committee is concerned with a specialist area of geotechnics, and its work may lead to:
• a specialist conference, symposium or workshop
• a review report for discussion at a session of an International or Regional Conference
• a report or paper for inclusion in the Proceedings of an International or Regional Conference
• a separately published volume of papers, or a state-of-the-art or review report
Anyone wishing to become a member of ISSMGE should contact their local Member Society. In case of difficulty contact the ISSMGE Secretariat. Organisations interested in becoming a Corporate Associate of ISSMGE should contact the ISSMGE Secretariat.
Professor R N Taylor
City, University of London
London EC1V 0HB
Tel: +44 20 7040 8154
Fax: +44 20 7040 8832